How to change ownership of a file

In our previous posts we saw how to change the permission on a file for  different users. Now lets see how to change the ownership of a file. To change the ownership /group ownership of  file or a directory we use chown command. Syntax for chown command is

chown [options] owner[:group] file

While using chown command if a single user id is given then that user will become owner of the given file/directory. If the owner is followed by a colon and group name then both owner and the group ownership will be changed

#1) To change the owner of a file, my_file, from guest to user calypso, execute
chown calypso my_file

#2) To change the ownership and group ownership of a file, my_file, to calypso and IT_Dept respectively, execute
chown calypso:IT_Dept my_file/
Similarly for a directory, my_docs,execute
chown calypso:IT_Dept my_docs/

#3) To change the ownership of all the files and sub-directories inside a directory recursively, execute
chown -R calypso:IT_Dept my_docs/

#4) The permission of a file/directory can also be changed with reference to another file/directory. The below screen shot is such an example


For more options and details please refer the chown man pages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding awk command with examples

Understanding sed command with example -Part 1

How to install a Software in Linux