How to create a directory in Linux

 

In order to create one or more than one directory in Linux we use the command mkdir. For creating a directory you type mkdir followed by the directory name.The command will create a new directory, provided a directory by the same name do not already exist. The syntax to create a directory in Linux is as shown below


Syntax:
mkdir directory_name
mkdir /path/to/directory 

Example:
mkdir my_documents

mkdir my_documents otherStuffs
mkdir my_documents/Pictures

The first method creates a directory by the name my_documents. In the second method two directories by the name my_documents and otherStuffs are created. The method creates a directory Pictures inside an already existing directory my_documents.

To create a directory within a new directory use -p flag along with mkdir. When used with -p flag command will check whether the parent directory exists. If not create the parent directory and then the sub-directory

Example:
mkdir -p my_documents/work
 
In the above case if there is no directory by the name my_documents in the current directory, a new directory my_documents will be created along with the sub-directory work

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding awk command with examples

Understanding sed command with example -Part 1

How to install a Software in Linux